Laminate flooring offers a variety of benefits. Not only are laminate floors less expensive than other options, but they also look beautiful. Caring for laminate floors requires special care, as sand and dirt can scratch the surface of your floor. These tips will help you protect your laminate floors to the best of your ability.
1. Keep laminate dry. Allowing your floors to be covered in water for long periods of time can cause swelling and warping of the floor. Make sure to wipe up spills quickly, and refrain from mopping your floors, which also causes warping. Dry methods of cleaning, with brooms and Swiffer-type products, tend to work better because they do not leave puddles of water behind to seep in.
2. Use adhesive pads made with felt to keep furniture and other items from scratching your floor. These pads can typically be cut to fit alongside the bottom of your furniture. You should also remember that your pet's claws can scratch the floors too. Keep their nails trimmed neatly.
3. Don't use vinegar, which is very acidic, on your laminate floors. Rubbing alcohol is a disinfectant and a better choice for cleaning the gunk off your floors because it has a neutral pH. Simply use one part rubbing alcohol and four parts distilled water. Add a bit of dishwashing soap to create the perfect cleaner for your laminate floors. Use this mixture to clean about every two weeks or so, drying the floor afterward to prevent warping.
4. Vacuum or sweep the floor at least two to three times each week, removing those little nuisances that scratch the floor. If you do use a vacuum, ensure that you are using a hard floor attachment. Otherwise, you might find yourself not picking up anything at all.
5. Avoid using a cleaning agent that comes with soap. This will only lead to a trail of soap scum across your floors.
6. Place a mat at the entrance of the room from the outside. This will collect dirt, sand, and other debris from outside. Make sure to shake the mat out into the trash once a day.
Caring for laminate floors is not difficult. So long as you stick to regular maintenance and keep the floor dry, you are sure to enjoy years upon years of beautiful floors. By providing regular maintenance, you ensure that your floors last the entirety of their average lifespan. If you do find that you need new laminate flooring, consider calling a local installation service, such as Lockwoods Carpets.